Recently I have been thinking, when you up roots and decide to start a new life, you have to be prepared to have no life for a little while. Okay... so that might be a slight exaggeration but it takes time to build things up and feel at home in your new surroundings. This isn't a bad thing and I think sometimes people panic that they haven't got everything sorted and an incredible new life within a couple of weeks. They might start to think that they have made a big mistake and feel a failure, I know that I have in the past. I have learnt that this is not true, you have to stick with it and not give up.
Below is a list of 6 thoughts and tips for when you have decided to take that leap:
1. Stay positive! This one is first on the list as I firmly believe that this is the most important thing you can do. So what if things aren't working out exactly as planned straight away? You should be proud of yourself for taking that huge step that not everyone would be brave enough to take. Be positive that things will work out for the best and keep trying your hardest, apply for those jobs, get out there and don't let little set backs get you down.
2. Have faith in yourself. Remember all the things that you have accomplished in the past, remember that at some point during those moments, you wondered if it would work out or if you had made a mistake. But you hadn't made a mistake and you did it! So you will do it again!
3. Be your own best friend. If you get a setback the last thing you should be doing is beating yourself up about it. Imagine how you would comfort a best friend, someone that you love dearly. You would do your best to make them feel better, tell them how amazing they are and that you know things will work out. Do this in the mirror next time. I promise you, although you may feel a little bit gaga crazy at first, soon the negative voice will start to fade away and the best friend in you will shine out.
4. Keep putting yourself out there. Be friendly, keep applying for jobs/ viewing house shares/ join classes anything that you feel you need to do. Don't put it off for another day. Just keep at it even when things feel hopeless. You will feel worse if you don't and those small little steps you take everyday will lead to something great.
5. Take good care of yourself. When you are alone and don't have your usual support network around to guide you, sometimes it can be easy to fall into a trap of not looking after yourself properly. Make sure that you eat well, don't let yourself get into dangerous situations and look out for yourself and others.
6. Get out and explore. Say yes to things that may be slightly out of your comfort zone. This is such an exciting time, a time to try new things, meet new people and have some incredible new experiences. Don't get bogged down in worrying about every little thing. Enjoy this new life and always remember that life is an adventure and things can change in an instant! And if things do go a bit pear shaped then at least you will have a funny story to tell!